Admission to Methodist Theological Seminary in America’s Master of Divinity Program is based on the following factors: 1) the student’s academic record (at least a 2.5 grade point average) in his/her undergraduate studies, and 2) two recommendations secured from the individual’s pastor, a faculty member connected with the student’s undergraduate program, and from one additional character reference.
Any person desiring to enter either school must submit the following:
- The appropriate application including the names and addresses of three individuals as references, as described above,
- Official transcripts of the school(s) previously attended (photocopies or transcripts in opened envelopes will not be accepted),
- Applicants for admission must hold a Bachelor of Arts or equivalent degree from MTSA or college.
- Must be at least 18 years of age and in good health.
- Demonstrate ability to read and write either English or Korean at the college entrance level. Level test will be required.
The Master of Divinity program is designed to equip dedicated Christians for various ministries in the church setting, including the ordained ministries of instruction and leadership in the church. This program emphasizes developing the capacity to study and communicate the Christian Scriptures and the theological traditions and the capacity to model and facilitate Christian spiritual formation and communal practices.
Program Learning Objective of Master of Divinity (M.Div.)
Upon completing this degree, students will be able to:
- Interpret both the Old and New Testaments with accurate, evangelical hermeneutical skills.
- Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of historical and theological tenets of the Church.
- Communicate biblical and theological truths through preaching, writing, or in such other ways as may be appropriate.
- Demonstrate leadership skills that serve the ministry needs of the church and community.
- To prepare students for ordained ministry.
Students receive the Master of Divinity degree when they fulfill the following program requirements and complete 90 semester units:
o Requirements (54 Units)
o Required Electives (24 Units)
o Student Ministry Formation (3 units)
o Electives (12 units)